*Pictures included* Delicious gluten-free meal in Houston


Reference:

1. Gluten (definition) - a protein found in wheat, rye or barley products; the gluten-free movement advocates eliminating such grains from one's diet for health benefits such as weight loss and decreased inflammation

Most bread, rice, wheat on the market contain gluten, though limited gluten-free options are available. Some toothpastes and cosmetics have gluten too.

2. Anti-inflammatory diet (explanation) - eliminating dairy, processed/grilled/fried foods, refined sugars/bleached flour; avoiding products with added sugars

Given that many chronic diseases are caused by excess inflammation, these lifestyle choices may be preventative or limiting measures. Obviously, it is a good practice to discuss diet changes with a doctor in advance.

Here is my delicious gluten-free lemon infused pasta dish from Bellagreen, a bistro serving up dishes inclusive of most dietary sensitivities! This particular location is in far Northwest Houston (249 area); however, there are multiple locations in town.  The restaurant has an earth-conscious theme. It's refreshing to see a restaurant take such an active stance on sustainability.




Was it petty of me to dine in and eat from to-go packaging? Lol. I would think I'm being extra cautious like most people during the pandemic, but I could see how a dining etiquette purist would be opposed. Oh well, I'm going to eat regardless on my terms.

With an interesting garnish (not sure if they're called microgreens), the dish contained parmesan-based sauce, a lemon, broccoli and corn noodles, which are naturally gluten-free. I didn't even know corn noodles existed! Most corn products are gluten-free, but heavily processed corn-based foods (like popcorn) are made in facilities sharing equipment with wheat-based products, which increases the risk of cross-contamination. Individuals should always use their best judgment when consuming corn on a gluten free diet. Some staunch anti-inflammatory lifestyle adherents claim corn is inflammatory. I am unsure about that for now, but I may try a corn fast as an experiment to see for myself.

Why did I choose this path? It's a LONG story for another post. I truly believe the health benefits from this lifestyle will outweigh the perceived inconveniences of not being to eat foods we cherish. There are so many nutritious foods we tend to overlook in our Western diet. I was so hooked on cereal for breakfast, that I never considered how delicious blueberries and cherries were...I mostly eat those now in the AM. 

I think the gluten-free movement exposes us to reconsider our relationship with food and health. Should we be eating to feel good and indulge or to live? Do we really need to consume products with 10-20 grams of added sugars daily (main culprits: the sweetened beverages we love, and to which we may even be addicted)??? I'm still trying to wean myself off of juices. Sugar is like that evil, crazy stalker that just won't disappear!

If you know me this seems like an unlikely path..I LOVE to eat and I *was* a carb queen...I couldn't go ONE DAY without cereal, rice, pasta, etc. I will now adhere to the gluten-free / anti-inflammatory lifestyle for good this year, though I am still adjusting. At first, I had no idea what I was doing. I really thought I would have to stop eating out and eat soup, fruit and vegetables for the rest of my life. Fortunately, there are places like Bellagreen and others that accommodate special dietary requests.

I try my best to eat clean, but sometimes we all crave decadent snacks, pastries and especially for me... ICE CREAM. I haven't yet found a suitable ice cream alternative,  but once I do, I will have some in moderation. I've learned that it is okay to have a cheat day :). I just began this lifestyle change last month; I must be patient and give myself grace.

Comments